2 (15 ounce) cans of Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
3tbsp Olive Oil
1/2tsp ground Black Pepper
1/2 Onion (finely diced)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper (finely diced)
1 fresh Jalapeno pepper (finely chopped)
Zest and juice of 1 Lime
A handful of Cilantro
– Start by draining and rinsing 2 cans of chickpeas (also known as Garbanzo beans). Shake them off in the colander trying to get rid of as much water as you can. Then toss them into a mixing bowl.
– Add 3 tbsps of Olive oil, salt and pepper to the chickpeas. Toss, so that they are all coated evenly.
– Spead the chickpeas on a foiled cookie sheet big enought to hold them in a single layer and roast in a 400F oven for 15 mins. You can shake the pan about a couple of times inbetween to make sure they roast evenly.
– In the meantime, using the same mixing bowl which has the remnants of the chickpea seasoning, add the finely diced onion, red bell pepper, the jalapeno pepper and the zest of one lime. Mix well.
– After the 15 mins, take out the chickpeas. Combine the red chili powder and paprika powder and dust all over the chickpeas. Put them back in the oven for another 5 mins, until the chickpeas are a nice deep golden red.
– Add the chickpeas to the mix, while they are still warm and toss.
– Sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro over the top and mix. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or lime juice if needed.
– Serve warm or chilled with lime wedges.
Source: Irene Hiskey