For the Soup:
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1lb Italian sausage (mild or sweet)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2t crushed red pepper flakes
- 2T tomato paste
- 1 (28oz) diced tomatoes, Italian Style
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 8 oz. lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 3T finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Cheese:
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1c shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Brown sausage. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente, approximately 9-10 minutes or according to the package directions. Do not overcook noodles or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheese mixture. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Turn off heat. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, place a dollop of the cheese mixture in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.
Adapted from A Farm Girl’s Dabbles