1 package Italian salad dressing mix
1/2 jar pimento, drained and chopped Small amount of roasted red peppers chopped
2 teaspoons dried parsley/dill Handful of chopped olives green or black 1 cup mayonnaise Salt/Pepper
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
French bread, or any tough crusty bread
In a bowl combine all of the ingredients except the bread. Mix together. Slice the bread and scoop out enough bread from the inside to fill with the mixture. Fill both sides and close. Wrap the sandwich in tin foil or plastic wrap completely. Put in the refrigerator to allow it to harden, about an hour. When ready to serve slice into sections.
There are tons of substitutions you could use for this basic idea.
This is a great sandwich for a picnic or outside occasion. I make a large one, throw it in a picnic basket and serve at least 4 people with it.
salt and pepper to tasteDirections:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut a deep “V” through the tops of each baguette until about a 1/2 inch to the bottom. Partially unstuff the baguettes. Set aside.
3. Place the eggs and cream into a mixing bowl and lightly beat together. Whisk in the remaining ingredients and lightly season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide and pour the mixture into each baguette boat and place onto a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and set in the center. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, cut and serve.
To prepare, crush the fruit you want to incorporate (kiwi, mango, cherries, limes, watermelon …) with some homemade lemonade, for example following this basic recipe. Then fill your bucket with the mixture and freeze.
When ready, add these cubes to your lemonade and enjoy new flavors.